In which I write about my experiences touring pieces doomed to fail.

Friday, March 14, 2008

March 13 @ Monkeytown, Brooklyn, NY

I get about 2 hours of sleep the night before, but I was able to practice my set, finish my timbre paper, and pack everything up so when I wake up everything is ready to go and I don't need to be an intelligent human to manage things. I rush out, Carmen sends me off, and I pick up John and we go.

Everything goes smoothly. We find the place right away, and it is a very, very cool venue. The restaurant part is really interesting but we are playing in the video screening room/stage area. There are four screens, one for each wall, and they soon start playing video. We are setting up in the center of the area, and everyone will sit all around us. Its kinda unusual.

Anne arrives as I'm loading stuff in, as does Lainie, and I finally meet them. Good times. Lainie is going to play the harmonium! Which is a nice free reed theme to the evening. Free reed instruments and sopranos.

Around 8:30ish people do start trickling in, Thank God. Bruce Arnold, a guitarist from Princeton I invited on Newton's suggestion shows up, and we talk. He's cool.

Then, its time and John goes on. The Chris Mann mix rocks, as always. I try and take pictures with the camera, but I kinda suck. So I take a lot. I figure if I take lots of them, it makes up for the fact that I am sucky photographer and I don't know what's going on with the photos.

Then, Anne is up. I really like her voice. I like sopranos. She plays the love/disease song from the video that I saw. I really enjoy that song. Also, the harmonium bit that comes later is nice. I like free reeds. Every one sings in the style of classical voice, which is nice.

Okay, then me. I go up and trip over something of Anne's and the feedback is horrendous. Its fixed soon... I start with my improv accordion piece + beats.... then: Time becomes Magnetic... actually, all of my set goes pretty damn well except for Every Night I Lose Control. First off, I lose my nerve, and decide not to perform Error of My Ways and balancing act had a problem in the initialization. Thankfully no one knew it because I just rolled with it for about 6 minutes then faded out as I was singing. It was disappointing, but I think it was a good show, regardless. People seemed to like "things that breathe". Also, I got several comments that the video went really well. I didn't notice. I didn't even control the video, so it was a happy coincidence. Once again I get asked for my website, etc, and I wish I had cards or something. Argh!

Also, two people came up and thanked me for inviting me randomly on myspace. They hadn't been to the venue before and they were really impressed. Well, it is a very rocking venue. Also, random promotion on myspace works. Awesome! Next time I hope I have more time to do promotion! I'm already doing more.

Then, I tried to pack up really fast since my friends I was staying with were going to get up early for work. And I was going to have to get up early, too. We got a little lost, but I was still all hyped up from the gig and in a good mood. It was nice seeing Greg again. We giggled a lot.

Then I didn't sleep because I've had insomnia the past few nights and this one was not an exception. I think I'm going to do my thesis pieces first next time and get them over with. Off to DC...

1 comment:

Mo said...

Courtney,
Saw you at the Monkey Club in Brooklyn. Def the highlight of my visit to NY. I thanked you then but wanted to make a point to thank you again for the inspiration.

Come out west! SF needs you.
Mo